The sheer scale of mobile broadband uptake and the rapid proliferation of smart devices is breathtaking which has led to increase in mobile data traffic at an enormous rate driving many mobile operators to transform their 3G to 4G networks with new services such as tiered charging, shared wallet, Fair access Policies and more. This is achieved by introducing various diameter based network elements such as Policy and Charging Rules Functions (PCRFs), Home Subscriber Servers (HSSs), Mobility Management Entities (MMEs), Online Charging Systems (OCSs), and many more into the LTE / EPC and IMS architecture. With the increase in traffic the number of diameter elements and signaling traffic will correspondingly increase leading to a signaling mesh in the network.
Diameter signaling control infrastructure that addresses the growth and expected congestion in signaling traffic through efficient routing of signaling information will play a vital role in the management of 3G, IMS & LTE networks and policy deployments for connecting, translating and interoperating diameter elements.
Elitecore DSC(Diameter signaling controller) is an intelligent signaling framework that streamlines and routes all Diameter-based IP signaling communication within the LTE and IMS networks. It is compliant to IETF RFC 3588, RFC 6733, 3GPP Diameter Routing Agent (DRA) and GSMA Diameter Edge agent (DEA) guidelines and enables simplify complex mesh and improve network performance, secure network topology and management through:
- Centralized Routing & efficiently managing the network traffic
- Interworking with legacy elements to ensure smooth interworking- peer to peer communication.
- Perform appropriate load balancing for desired load distribution and congestion control.
- Ensures intelligent message handling that allows flexible and accurate routing.
- Provide proxy, relay and redirect agent functions.
Elitecore DSC - the “all-in-one-platform” consists of all diameter agent functions for routing, traffic management, redundancy and service implementation for 3G, LTE and IMS networks.
- Core Router with a DRA (Diameter Relay Agent) for Congestion control and Failover Management with Guaranteed accuracy.
- DPA (Diameter Proxy Agent) Modifies messages to enable policy enforcement, resource usage control, admission and provisioning functions. It serves as a control point that enforces subscriber roaming policies on different messages and realms.
- DTA (Diameter Translation Agent) Translation between standard parameters and non-standard parameters. It converts a message from one Authentication, Authorization and Accounting (AAA) protocol to another.
- DRA (Diameter Redirect Agent) serves as a centralized configuration repository for other Diameter nodes and redirect agent does not alter any AVPs and does not originate messages. Capable of handling any message type, although they may be configured only to redirect messages of certain types, while acting as relay or proxy agents for other types.
Operations and Maintenance
- Elitecore DSC is 3GPP Release 10 Standard Compliant.
- GUI-based configuration that enables service providers to configure, manage and monitor the processes.
- SNMP Query and Trap. Supports SNMP based northbound interface for connecting to NMS system.
- On-the-fly Log-Levels for quick debugging.
- Elitecore DSC is based on JAVA based Software technology.
High Scalability and Availability
- Carrier class Active-Active and Active-Passive high availability
- Offers five nines Availability for a robust and scalable solution
- Supports increasing network nodes
Peer State Machine (Capabilities exchange, Connect peer, Disconnect peer, in operation, overloading)
Dynamic peer discovery
Supports Dynamic peer discovery for communication between two nodes. If “IP Range” or “Subnet” are configured Elitecore DSC will honor and accept connection from peer. All peer characteristics will be grouped into “Peer Profile” configuration dynamically.
Provides the ability to identify, connect and route messages to upstream or downstream agents, clients and servers.
The option of manual configuration of diameter node is also available
Security in Diameter Signaling
Serves as a secure, single point of entry into the cluster for simplified and efficient data network routing.
Security through Network topology hiding - Prevents hackers from directing attacks and identifying routes. It protects the mobile operators elements from being exposed to foreign networks
Resource starvation protection - Sets high limits that ensure proper operation and enhances high performance and Service Availability.
Diameter fuzzing Protection - Protects against attacks with Diameter malformed messages
Dynamic traffic rate control - Enhances service availability by signaling overload control and protection against Denial-of-service (DoS) attack.
- Active-Active High Availability
- Active-Passive High Availability
- Geo Redundant
- Disaster Recovery
- Deploy & Operate in parallel
- Elitecore DSC is compatible and easily integrates with multi-vendor network elements such as OCS, HLR, NMS, GGSN, IPSG and PCRF
Software Based Approach
- As compared to legacy, proprietary models or box-based hardware approach, EliteDSC’ s software based approach is flexible, scalable, easily adaptable, robust & high availability needs that can handle dynamic network traffic.
- It can be reused by another applications through simple GUI-based configuration, enabling operators to introduce software-level changes to create new features, applications, use cases or technology. It offers a multitude of new opportunities to operators in terms of cost savings, scalability, network agility and launching of new services without the need for a new hardware and resources.
- Support for readymade multiple adaptors for integration. These adaptors are easily configurable to make integration faster, smoother and robust.
- Elitecore DSC virtualization technology offers an innovative cost-effective method with maximized hardware performance and adds scalability to operator networks based on changing capacity requirements while creating new services based on evolving subscriber needs.
- The virtualized Diameter engine addresses server sprawl and consolidate on scalable platforms, reduce hardware and deployment costs, better manage the environment with fewer resources, ensures disaster recovery, improve business agility & IT responsiveness and lowers TCO. It also enables faster server provisioning, easier backups, reduces hardware vendor lock-in and faster time-to-market for on-demand services.
- GUI based Centralized Maintenance and Management for all diameter agents.
- Radius & Diameter support from a Single GUI.
- Simplifies provisioning for New Diameter network elements.
- High Availability and Redundancy upto five nines availability.
- Flexible and Scalable Solution to support 10 K messages per second deployed.
- Support for Complex scripting for ease in interoperability.